This is a collection of useful information and tips compiled by individuals on the many uses for one of Melaleuca‘s favorite products: Sol-U-Mel. Various people have added stories and comments along the way.
What is Sol-U-Mel?
It is a 3-in-1 super cleaner: 1) it cleans and dissolves impossible stains. 2) it’s a wonderful air freshener and deodorizer. And 3) it can be added to other Melaleuca cleaners as an extender or cleaning booster.
Sol-U-Mel has the highest concentration of Melaleuca Oil of any of Melaleuca’s cleaners. Full strength, it can remove stubborn oil stains, crayon, chewing gum and ink. Dilute it with water for an all-purpose, ready-to-use cleaner, deodorizer, air freshener and more. For deep odors like smoke, mildew, or pets just dilute Sol-U-Mel in warm water. The gold solution will turn milky white as you add warm water. The warm water allows the oil to mix better into the sprayer.
What it’s NOT is even more amazing! No caustic chemicals!
- NO Ammonia
- NO Chlorine Bleach
- NO Petroleum Distillates
Which means no gloves and no special ventilation. It is comprised entirely of naturally derived ingredients that come from renewable resources that are biodegradable.
Sol-U-Mel comes in both original and Citrus scent.
It can be used on….
CHEWING GUM/ STICKY LABELS
Gummy labels, tape, tar, tree sap, sticky residue etc. – use Sol-U-Mel full strength as an effective solvent to remove any sticky stuff, even on vehicles!
Chewing Gum – Pour full strength Sol-U-Mel on the gum area. Let set a minute, then rub to loosen the gum, and wash the item in MelaPower if possible. On car seats or furniture – I took an old towel, put a little Sol-U-Mel (undiluted) in the corner and lightly dabbed and wiped the gum, and amazingly it came right off.
-Sol-U-Mel works easily to get rid of Bandage residue on skin. Use it to take off that annoying sticky residue left from labels and price tags.
-Ever use Superglue and have your fingers stick to each other? Use a little Sol-U-Mel between fingers to dissolve the glue.
Wallpaper Removal – in a 16 oz spray bottle, mix 1 teaspoon Sol-U-Mel to 1 teaspoon of Tough & Tender, fill with water. Spray area to help soften wallpaper for easier removal.
-It takes off wax from fabric, plastic or glass.
AROUND THE HOUSE
– clean shower curtains with a mix of 2 1/2 tablespoons of MelaMagic and 1 1/2 caps full of Sol-U-Mel with water in a 16 ounce spray bottle. Spray on curtain and let set a few minutes, then wipe clean with a damp cloth. You can add it to Tough & Tender and really boost its disinfecting properties.
Blinds – Mix 2 tablespoons of Tough & Tender and 1 capful of Sol-U-Mel with 16 oz. of water to cut through the grimy dirt on blinds.
– Melaleuca products, including T36-C5 Oil, Renew Bath Oil or Sol-U-Mel should NOT be used in an operating tub or permanent Jacuzzi tub. Melaleuca alternifolia oil is not compatible with the filtration system in these sophisticated environments. You can use Sol-U-Mel, Tub & Tile etc. in cleaning the walls of a dry tub, but not when the system is filled.
– Mix two tablespoons MelaMagic and one capful Sol-U-Mel with 16oz water. You can keep this in a spray bottle or mix in a bucket. Spray or wipe on floor and mop up.
Floors (Lino Scuffs)
– Full strength Sol-U-Mel takes scuff marks off linoleum.
Furniture – both the upholstery as well as the wood. Use diluted cleaner to freshen upholstery and remove stains from wood.
Handset and Cell phone
-Clean and disinfect your telephone (handset) with diluted Sol-U-Mel. Just spray and wipe.
EVERYTHING PLUS THE KITCHEN SINK
Nothing measures up to the superior cleaning power of Sol-UMel, whether you use it diluted with water or full strength for tough jobs. Just one use and you‘ll throw out all of your other stain cleaners! Works on stainless, marble and granite too. DO NOT USE SOL-U-GUARD ON NATURAL STONE OR GRANITE. THE CITRIC ACID WILL ETCH IT!
These are great tips for cleaning your sink:
Spray Sol-U-Mel in sink & sprinkle with salt. Let set and then use no-scratch scrubber like Scotch Brite.
Mix 4 tablespoons Tub & Tile and one capful of Sol-U-Mel with 16 ounces water in spray bottle. Spray sink and wipe with damp rag. (For rust stains or mineral deposits, use Tub & Tile full strength.
Use one capful Sol-U-Mel with a little MelaBrite. Let set and wipe with rag or no-scratch scrubber.
Kitchen counters and appliances
– Add 3 ounces Sol-U-Mel to water in a spray bottle. Spray on counter and let set a few minutes. Wipe clean with damp cloth. This also kills any germs that may be on the counter or appliance.
Kitchen Odors – in a 16 oz spray bottle, add 1/3 cup Sol-U-Mel and fill with water. Spray cutting boards, countertops to eliminate onion, fish and other odors. This will also kill any germs as well. For extra safety, follow up with Solugard Botanical Spray.
-Get in the habit of pouring a little Sol-U-Mel down your garbage disposal to keep it clean, sanitized and fresh smelling.
Stainless steel dishes
– mix one tablespoon Sol-U-Mel with one tablespoon Tough & Tender and two Tbls DiamondBrite Gel with a gallon of water. Scrub with a Scotch Brite type scrubber. It works great!
– Forget about those horrible and dangerous fumes that you have to deal with when cleaning your oven because you’ll now be able to do this task with your Sol-U-Mel.
-It is perfect for cleaning ventilator hoods; it degreases them beautifully. For tough caked on grease add a little Mela Magic
-My refrigerator went kaput last weekend and we discovered that the condenser had been dripping oil underneath for, I assume, a long time. It had grown. I took diluted Sol-U-Mel and sprayed it and there was an instant dissolving of the top layer. I put my 10 year old to work on the spot with a roll of paper towels and the sprayer. By the time I came home with the new fridge, the spot was long gone.
Melted plastic – My most recent success with Sol-U-Mel is taking a melted bread bag off my hot cooking sheet.
Sol-U-Mel is wonderful at getting odors out of practically anything, even plastic. Mix lemon blossom Sol-U-Mel according to directions on spray bottle with water and use it to neutralize odors around the home. Pet odors, mildew, deep smoke smells and many others will be replaced by a crisp citrus fragrance. This solution can be sprayed on fabrics or in the air. (Original Sol-U-Mel also neutralizes odors without leaving a citrus fragrance.)
– My husband bought a used truck & the previous owners smoked. I sprayed Sol-U-Mel all over inside. Once it dried the odor was gone.
– Spritz a bit of Sol-U-Mel in the refrigerator now and then to keep it smelling fresh.
– Sol-U-Mel will remove even the worst old food odors from food coolers also.
– Burned food odors are quickly eliminated by spraying diluted Sol-U-Mel in the room area.
Second-hand cigarette smoke a problem? Spray Sol-U-Mel to deodorize a smoke filled room and directly on clothes to remove cigarette orders.
-I use it in a “pumper”- (a nonaerosol pump) mixing two teaspoons of Sol-U-Mel with water. The kids love that “fresh” smell and it kills the odors in the bathroom.
-Spray it in diaper pails to freshen, deodorize and kill germs and bacteria.
-Sol-u-mel neutralizes the odour associated with sweaty hockey equipment in addition to killing germs and bacteria.
– Mix 1/4 cup of PreSpot plus 1/2 cup MelaMagic and 1 tablespoon of Sol-U-Mel. Pour solution into the tray of the carpet cleaner. Another recipe: Mix 1/2 cup Tough & Tender, 1/16 cup of MelaMagic, and 1/8 cup Sol-U-Mel in 1 gallon of water.
– Mix 1 1/2 capfuls of Sol-U-Mel with water in l6 oz. spray bottle. Lightly spray carpet with diluted Sol-U-Mel, let sit for 5 minutes and vacuum as usual.
-Try Sol-U-Mel full strength or diluted on tough carpet stains. It will even take out rust stains on carpet that professional carpet cleaners can‘t get out. We used Sol-U-Mel to take out some imbedded blue dye on our ivory carpet which had “bled” from the fur of a stuffed toy animal.
-I had been working on patching a freeway and we were using thick, tar-like oil. I came home from work, forgot to take off my boots, and tracked black tar through the house. Mom tried several cleaning products. They didn’t even phase the tar and it sat on the carpet for a month. When we got some Sol-U-Mel, I asked her to try it. She poured a capful on each spot and let it soak for a few minutes, then put some on an old towel to rub with. It removed all the tar. I was out of trouble and no damage to the carpet.
Clay or Play Dough in Carpet
– Sol-U-Mel goes to work immediately and cleans it out of the carpet.
-It’s great to spray on the vacuum brushes of your vacuum cleaner and can also be sprayed in the vacuum bag itself to keep it smelling fresh.
For dingy whites try this Whiter-than-White Laundry Recipe:
1/4 Cup Sol-U-Mel, 1/2 Cup MelaMagic, 1/2 Cup MelaBrite, 2/3 Cup DiamondBrite (yes the dishwasher product!) Mixture makes 16 oz. Place in a 16 oz. Sol-U-Mel bottle. Add 1 1/2 oz for a whiter-than-white load (makes 10 uses)
– 16 oz of PreSpot, 1/4 Cup Tub & Tile, 1/4 Cup MelaMagic, 3/4 Cup DiamondBrite, 4 oz Sol-U-Mel in empty 32 oz bottle. Add water to fill, then shake well and use ¼ cup per load.
– Add 1 capful of Sol-U-Mel and 2-4 capfuls of MelaMagic to an average wash load to deodorize and disinfect. Great for work and gym clothes.
Whiten and deodorize
– add either MelaBrite or 1 capful of Sol-U-Mel to MelaPower. Sol-U-Mel added to MelaPower will also deodorize clothing. For extra germ protection or for mildewed clothes add 1 capful of Sol-U-Mel to your wash.
(One day I opened a load of clothes in the dryer and there was melted crayon all over the clothes. The entire dryer tub was stained with crayon. I applied diluted Sol-U-Mel to each clothing stain allowing it to soak in & then washed it all with MelaPower. While the clothes washed I cleaned out the dryer with Sol-U-Mel. Not only did all traces of the crayon leave the clothing, but the dryer looked brand new again!)
Oil Based Stains
– Use Sol-U-Mel full strength on fabrics. Great to lift paint stains too!
– Mix a solution of 2 tablespoons of MelaPower and 1 capful of Sol-U-Mel with 2 gallons of warm water. Put clothing in this solution and let soak for a few hours. If the grease spots are not dissolved, apply a squirt of Antibacterial Liquid Soap. Rub in and let stand for a few minutes before rinsing with warm water. You can also add MelaMagic directly to the wash water in the machine.
– Apply Sol-U-Mel full strength to spot, rub then rinse & wash as normal.
– A friend asked if we had anything that would get ink out of clothing. A pen in a shirt pocket had gone through the washer and dryer leaving ink all over the clothes. Without missing a beat, I grabbed my Sol-U-Mel, sprayed the shirt that had ink all over it & I started dabbing it with a wash cloth. It started coming out like a breeze. One thing, make sure you have a cloth behind where you are working so the ink doesn’t bleed through as the Sol-U-Mel dissolves it.
– Combine 1 oz. of Sol-U-Mel, 1/2 oz of MelaPower & 1/2 oz MelaBrite. Add sufficient water to cover soiled diapers to soak overnight. Then wash with MelaPower and 1 oz. Sol-U-Mel in washing machine (PreSpot stained areas). They will come out whiter, brighter and exceptionally fresh smelling with this method. *For those parents who use disposable diapers, spray diluted Sol-U-Mel mixture in garbage pail to deodorize and disinfect.
– Washable toys suchas stuffed animals, dolls, blankets etc., wash in machine with 1/8 cup of MelaPower and 1 capful of Sol-U-Mel. For all plastic toys etc., wash in a sink full of hot water mixed with 1 capful of Tough & Tender and Sol-U-Mel to clean and disinfect.
-Spray it on your pillows.
AIR PURIFICATION/ MOLD & MILDEW
The quality of the air you breathe in your home may be robbing you of good health. Modern, energy efficient homes, by virtue of their air tight design, often trap chemical vapors in addition to mold, fungus, yeast and bacteria from moist condensation in heating and cooling ducts, soil from house plants and under sink areas. There is a literal zoo cohabitating our homes. Many respiratory, eye, ear, nose and throat complaints appear in doctor’s waiting rooms because of over exposure to foul household air. Changes of season often shift populations of these microbial species as growing conditions fluctuate. The outgassing of toxic vapors from these situations significantly decrease air quality.
Dr. George Graham, a microbiologist in Knoxville, TN, has a business of getting rid of black mold and all kinds of mold. He uses Sol-U-Mel, and Sol-U-Mel with Tough & Tender. He claims that chlorine does not kill mold. Sol-U-Mel does.
His web site is: http://www.themoldlab.com
Mold & Mildew– Mix 2 1/2 tablespoons of MelaMagic and 1 1/2 capfuls of Sol-U-Mel with water in a 16 oz. spray bottle. Spray on surfaces like the shower curtain and let sit for a few minutes. Wipe clean with a damp cloth.
Airborne – Spray Sol-U-Mel in the air to kill the mold spores in the air. Use just 2 caps to 16oz water.
Air Conditioner filters
-Use Sol-U-Mel to spray on your air conditioning filters every time you change them or clean them because it kills mold on contact. Then run the air conditioner or heater to get the Sol-U-Mel throughout their system, and to kill the mold and other harmful bacteria.
Furnace Filter– Spray all filters and vents often with diluted Sol-U-Mel. To do a Melaleuca oil purge of your house every couple of months, attach an inverted open bottle of T36-C5 Oil on the furnace intake filter. The high air volume will diffuse the entire contents of the bottle throughout your house over the next 12 -36 hours (depending upon temperature and relative humidity). This treated air flows throughout all the rooms and stops the growth of bacteria, molds, fungus and viruses.
HEALTHY ANIMALS & PETS
– For general protection, wash all bedding in washing machine with 2 capfuls of Sol-U-Mel and 1/8 cup MelaPower. Add 2 oz. of Sol-U-Mel to 16oz of water in trigger sprayer and apply to areas where dog or cat rests to repel fleas and deodorize. Sol-U-Guard Botanical works well too because the herb Thyme (the main ingredient) kills fleas.
Fleas & Ticks (on pet)
– Sol-U-Mel for de-fleaing and de-ticking animals. It works great! I used it first on a cat that had a flea infestation like I’ve never seen before or since. I’ve never found anything that kills fleas immediately like it does. I make a dip and a spray out of it and use it frequently on my cats and my dogs. Note: do not apply tea tree oil or concentrate directly to animal. Must be diluted.
Fly Repellent (Livestock) Horses, Cattle, Goats, etc
– Mix 2 oz. of Sol-U-Mel with 16 oz. of water. Spray directly on the animal.
Hamsters, Gerbils, Guinea Pigs, Ferrets
– To control odor in or around a small animal cages or to prevent communicable diseases, dab T36-C5 or spray a 1:20 diluted solution of Sol-U-Mel to the area 2 or 3 times each week.
Parakeets, Canaries or Tropical Birds
– To prevent diseases among birds, use a 1:100 dilution of Sol-U-Mel sprayed once per week to the absorbent fodder material on the bottom of the cage. Spray each time the fodder is changed. WARNING! Some exotic birds are sensitive to the aromatic oils in T36-C5.
– To clean their cage, mix 2 oz. of Sol-U-Mel with 16 oz. of water. Spray on cage and on the bottom tray to clean and deodorize. Scrub clean with brush. Rinse with water.
Shiny Coats and more
– For a beautiful, shiny coat for your dogs, cats, horses, and other animals, add one Tbls Sol-U-Mel to their bath water. (It also kills any fleas and ticks so your pet stays bug free.) Spray directly on your dog to remove that “doggy odor”.
– We live in the mountains and our dogs often come home a little “beat up” from tangles with bears and wild hogs. I’ve always used a wound care salve from a local store with okay results. I did some reading and research and decided to try the Sol-U-Mel diluted on one of their cuts. It worked wonderfully. It also costs less than what I was using.
– I wouldn’t believe it if I hadn’t actually tried it. We have a little animal friend who takes a stroll across our backyard every evening. When I went out one summer night, I could smell him. I got my diluted Sol-U-Mel and sprayed four or five times outside around my back balcony. I was amazed when I got back home 30 minutes later. The smell was gone. Sol-U-Mel is truly a great product. If it can get rid of skunk smell, it can get rid of any unpleasant odors!
I spray Sol-U-Mel in my cat box and stir it around to keep the litter smelling fresh. I had a new neighbor visiting us and she didn’t even know I had a cat! There was no smell and the cat box actually sits out in the front part of my house.
-Sol-U-Mel is one of my favorite products. We own a rental property and some tenants had eight cats and a black lab puppy. Needless to say we had cat urine everywhere. After ripping up all the carpets and re-sanding the wood floors, the smell was still terrible and unbearable. Sol-U-Mel was the only product that killed the smell. Thank you, Melaleuca, for having this great product that has so many uses.
Spraying Sol-U-Mel in the yard is an excellent way to kill bugs, fleas, mosquitoes and ticks. When outdoors, spray clothing with diluted Sol-U-Mel to help ward off insects, whether hiking, camping, picnicking or just hanging out in your own backyard.
Summer Bugs, Flies and Mosquitoes
– ruining your outdoor get-togethers? Spray the air around your patio with diluted Sol-U-Mel (two tablespoons with 16 oz. water). A little Sol-U-Mel sprayed around the outside rims of doors helps keep away mosquitoes where they love to congregate overnight as well.
– Box Elder bugs are small, annoying, flat, mostly black bugs with some orange. They can fly and they multiply like crazy. In the summer the sides of our sheds and house have been covered with them. Everything we tried on them didn’t work until Sol-U-Mel! Now those little devils don’t stand a chance! One spray and its toes up! You can bet come next spring my orders will include Sol-U-Mel each month so I can get the offspring I didn’t get this last summer!
– Keep a mixture of diluted Sol-U-Mel® with a few drops T36-C5 added to spray pesky ants from unwanted areas. PreSpot also works well and is one of the best ant killers you will ever get your hands on.
-Live in an area with a lot of pine trees and bushes around? A time of the year when there’s a lot of webs flying around with the little spider all clustered up? They land on the patio furniture, the side of the house, planters, everywhere. They look like a bunch of shiny pin heads. If you touch them, they scatter in all directions, and eventually reform the cluster. Of course, all these little buggers eventually turn into big ugly spiders. I tried zapping them with other products but they just scattered. Well, diluted Sol-U-Mel does it! I hold a paper towel under the cluster, spray with Sol-U-Mel and grab the whole dead/stunned bunch in the towel. This works with horseflies, mosquitoes and all bugs in general.
Dust Mites and bed bugs
-Spray it on and under your mattress to get rid of dust mites. Spray it on hotel mattresses too!
Pests – Add 1 tbsp of Tough & Tender to 16oz of water, or use diluted Sol-U-Mel. Spray on roses to kill aphids and other undesirables.
Crown Rot/Fungus – Same as above
Pots – Sol-U-Mel will also clean moss or algae off your clay pots.
Skin Rashes or Infections
– add 1 capful of Sol-U-Mel to bath water as an initial therapy for dry skin, rashes, dermatitis, diaper rash etc. Helps soothe and soften the skin.
Itchy body, jock itch, groin, etc.
– Bathe with one ounce Sol-U-Mel and 1oz Renew Bath Oil
– Along with changing the way you clean your home and wash clothes (switching to EcoSense products) you can soak daily in a warm bath with one ounce Sol-U-Mel and one ounce Renew Bath Oil added to the water.
– Add three more ounces of each and bathe as above.
– bathe in one ounce Sol-U-Mel with one ounce Renew Bath Oil® in tub. Use the Gold Bar, Platinum Bar or the Liquid Soap on a washcloth and clean well.
– Combine equal parts Sol-U-Mel and Renew Bath Oil put some on a warm, dampened cloth and hold in place for several minutes. Repeat. Dry area and apply T36-C5 and Renew Skin Lotion.
– (painful skin blisters) can be helped by adding two ounces Renew Bath Oil and two ounces Sol-U-Mel to your bath.
– Add 1 tablespoon of Sol-U-Mel to water in a vaporizer (or use a bowl of boiling water). Make a tent by draping a large towel over the head and breathe directly over the vapors for 10 minutes, twice daily. Sleep in a room with a vaporizer running all night. This also helps to clean and purify the air. A cold mist humidifier can also be used. This remedy is also effective for bronchitis and asthma.
-Drink plenty of hot G’Day Melaleuca Tea. Also inhale vaporizer steam with 2 capfuls Sol-U-Mel and 10 drops T36-C5 added. Swab the back of your throat with straight Melaleuca Oil or dip swab in the Melaleuca mouthwash then add the oil – it kills strep and takes out the sting.
-Soothe asthma conditions and get relief by adding 10 drops T36-5 and 2 capfuls Sol-U-Mel to water in a humidifier or vaporizer.
Allergies & Sinus problems
– Place Sol-U-Mel full strength to the sides and base of the nose 2 to 3 times in a row as you inhale deeply through the nose. Spray Sol-U-Mel onto a clean dry wash cloth and place it over the nose and mouth and breathe in through it.
Allergic reactions – I have a friend who had a reaction to her new insulin. She soaked in a hot bath with Sol-UMel and then Renew Bath Oil and the next day it was almost gone. It stopped the itching right away.
– Mix a few drops of T36-C5 Oil and 1 capful of Sol-U-Mel diluted with water in a trigger sprayer. Spray onto clothes, skin and outdoor areas as a safe and effective repellent.
Another Insect Repellent recipe: 1 teaspoon of Tough & Tender with a capful of Sol-U-Mel and I capful of Renew Spa & Bath Oil diluted with water in a trigger sprayer.
– Apply T36-C5 to the wart morning and night. Soak in solution of one to two capfuls of Sol-UMel in one cup warm water for 20 minutes. Most types of warts respond to this treatment.
Bunions – soak the foot in one ounce Sol-U-Mel and two tablespoons of Epsom salts in a quart of hot water.
– you’ll want to first soak the foot in hot water with one ounce Sol-U-Mel added. Then apply the T36-C5 oil and Mela-Gel
-Clean a cut with warm water and Sol-U-Mel. Wounds that are open or are healing are greatly helped by rinsing daily with one ounce Sol-U-Mel in a pint of water.
– To clean excess or impacted wax from the ear canal, apply one drop of T36-C5 and one drop of Sol-U-Mel to a small piece of cotton, which has been pulled and twisted to a point. Insert the soaked point in the ear ove8rnight. The next morning, remove the cotton and fill a rubber baby syringe with one teaspoon or Sol-U-Mel in 8 oz. water heated to body temperature. Hold the syringe toward the side of the canal just inside the ear opening, leaving a space for the water to swish back out. Squeeze a firm stream of water into the ear canal several times to melt and dislodge the wax.
– Our daughter recently had a case of head lice and decided to see what Melaleuca products could do. We were out of oil and decided to try what we had. We sprayed her head with Sol-U-Mel and then shampooed with Melaleuca original shampoo then let it sit for about 10 minutes and rinsed. The gross little buggers were floating in the tub. We then took a nit comb through her hair and the eggs came out easily. This was such a relief to use something that wasn’t burning my child’s scalp. AND IT WORKED! Thank you, Melaleuca.
Take Sol-U-Mel with you on trips. Spray it in your hotel room and on the air intake or fan areas, pillow and sheets and bed spreads. You’ll love how it freshens and deodorizes (kills germs too)!
Permanent marker remover
-Markercomes off many surfaces such as floors, wood, tile, vinyl, leather, etc. with a little Sol-U-Mel
Paintbrush Cleaner – We’ve tried it on latex paint (oil based paint would probably work fine too) and cleanup is a snap. Add a small amount to container of water, thoroughly swish paintbrush in this, rinse and dry. Bristles will be soft, clean and conditioned.
Cosmetics – Sol-U-Mel cleans up cosmetic spots like makeup, lipstick and hair coloring off of surfaces, fabric, etc
Face Paint – My daughter wrote all over her face with an ink pen, my wife put straight Sol-U-Mel on a soft cloth and it cleaned it up quickly without pain or damage to the face. Actually it helped her face because it was red from marking on it so hard.
Nail Polish remover
-We had a dark pink nail polish spill on our carpet. We’d used nail polish remover at that time and it didn’t help. When we got the Sol-U-Mel we tried it and 95% or more of the polish stain came out – after two years!